Join Us This June!
The 2018 Annual General Meeting will take place at
Esterel, QC on June 17 & 18, 2018. Stay tuned for more details!
2017 Annual General Meeting
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO ATTENDED THE 2017 AGM!
On June 2nd & 3rd, 2017 members of the Allied Beauty Association joined together for ABA’s Annual General Meeting at the Trump Hotel downtown Toronto. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for attending and for sharing all of your industry insights and ideas to improve all of the new initiatives ABA will be undertaking over the next few years.
- On Friday night, Gordon Greenwood and Mirella Rota Sementilli honoured industry icon Fabio Sementilli and announced the inception of ABA’s new FAME award: Fabio’s Award for Mentorship and Education. This award will be given out to deserving individuals who dedicate time to mentoring and educating others in the industry.
- We were joined by seven of ABA’s Past Presidents, who brought some valuable insight to the event and were a great addition to the conversation about ABA’s future goals. These presidents included Marshall Folk, Trent Robinson, Doriane Dalati, Scott Fraser, Kevin O’Regan Jr., Al Peters and Stephen Pavlick.
- Michele Presse and Eddy Della Mora of Canadian Training Company introduced the ABAs new ‘Education Portal’, a platform that will be available on ABAs new website offering educational courses to members to help maintain and elevate the industry standard. This portal will also link to manufacturer educational classes, for those members interested in sharing; creating a one-stop platform for beauty professionals.
- Starlette Tolver shared insights and upcoming campaigns that the Red Seal program has begun to implement to standardize hairdressing regulations across the country by 2020. John Poirier of Ontario College of Trades followed Starlette and provided valuable information about Ontario’s initiatives including putting 50 inspectors out into the workforce to check salons for adequate licensing. The ABA will maintain a strong relationship with both of these organizations and help to further our mission to keep our industry professional, starting in the salons.
- Dee Diaz of Look Good Feel Better reminded us how much they have been able to accomplish, with our continued support. Since our partnership began in 2006 more than 100,000 women have received sleep caps. She also let the members know about the upcoming ‘Wink Day’, taking place on June 15. Look Good Feel Better is asking for people to share a photo of their wink with #WINKDAY and for every photo Shoppers Drug Mart will donate $5.00 to LGFB.
- The afternoon breakout sessions were very successful with many new ideas and suggestions brought forward to help build these new initiatives into something valuable and sustainable. We will take all of your suggestions and build them into an action plan that we will share with the entire membership. We thank you for your engagement and for standing by us as we take the Association in a new and positive direction.
- At the Chairman’s Dinner and Boat Cruise we honoured ABA’s good friend and long-time member Frank Walker of Samurai Inc. Joined by his wife Shirley and many of his family members, everyone enjoyed some great stories and relished fond memories told by Frank’s good friends Phil Rice and Al Peters.
2017 AGM Photos
Thank you Tom Traves of Takara Belmont for our amazing 2017 photos!
We'd love to hear from you!
Share your thoughts on this year's event; we’d love to include your testimonial on our website and use it for future AGM planning and promotion of next year’s event. Simply fill out the form below to submit.